Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Disorganized Life

Although I can't completely shake my position as overachieving firstborn, I have become a much more laid back homemaker in recent years. Sometimes I think that's for the better, other times I don't.

I really hoped to bring a 'no worries' attitude to the land down under. I pictured our family beachside the first week with a slow timetable for getting settled. But of course we have no hangers, so unpacking all our clothes meant stuffing them into wardrobes with no rhyme or reason.

And then getting access to our new bank account took about 3 hours with kids who did NOT want to be running errands.

And then we got an email from our landlord stating that our rent was 5 days overdue. And I had no idea how to pay it.

And then I found out we needed to choose an electricity provider ASAP.

And then Evie locked the ignition on our borrowed van and we couldn't start the van for 30 minutes (and had no way to contact anyone without phones being set up yet).

And them I realized that my 'no worries' attitude might have to wait a few more weeks.

Welcome to my Disorganized Life. I'm hoping to introduce you to an organized closet by the end of the week. Sorry if you were hoping for pictures of the ocean and kids frolicking beachside....you're getting closets.

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there!!! A couple of weeks from now you'll be laughing your head off. I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! And three hours anywhere with crabby kids is never fun. But, but...you are there! Let's all revel in the reality of that hard work for now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it took us at least 10 days in Japan to get semi-settled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    one step at a time. you'll get settled before you know it. frustrations and all. don't lose sight of why you're there. God has planted you for kingdom purposes so don't be deterred by the daily setbacks. it will all smooth out in time. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, this brings back so many memories of my life one year ago. But look at me now....I'm not crying every day because the grocery store is strange or we can't access any money or I can't find anything we packed. Praying for a quick transition for you and for all the logistics to work out with few headaches and tears. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll get there! Sounds completely normal for a cross-cultural move! Brings back some memories of my move to Vienna and those first days of so much I wanted/needed to get done but it wasn't always possible! Things take more time than you expect them to simply because so much is different and so much being different gets tiring too! Be patient with yourselves and try to take one thing at a time. Hope you get some hangers soon! :)

    ReplyDelete